From Swansea to Solihull

Happy Friday readers! Yesterday, I swapped my usual routine of researching freshwater invertebrates, to teaching them to primary school children this week. For this, I visited Sharmans Cross Junior School (Solihull, West Midlands), who hosted a water day for their year 5 group (ages 9-10) so that the students could learn about how our precious […]

Read more

A Roundup Of The Blue Field Trip

Out In The Field Last week I went on a couple of FIRE Lab field trips with colleagues Steph and Joelle to walk the River Tawe Path, making cyanotypes, or blueprints, along the way. I’d prepared Bockingford paper with a solution of two chemicals, Ammonium ferric citrate and Potassium ferricyanide, in a darkroom and took them with me […]

Read more

Reflections from ‘Sacred Rivers and Climate Change’ at London’s Climate Action Week

The UK parliament is the first in the world to declare a climate emergency, and in turn the capital city launched its first climate action week (EcoWatch, 2019). The London Climate Action Week had more than 150 events taking place around the city, bringing people together across many sectors to identify solutions and find new […]

Read more

How culverts transform rivers

In an earlier blog post, I wrote about how the River Tawe harbours a range of flora and fauna despite a long history of neglect and strain inflicted by human activities. While changes in the management of rivers has improved ecological conditions across the catchment, ecosystems supported within the Tawe are still threatened by different […]

Read more